Monday, November 2, 2015

Exeland, Wisconsin - in the Fall





There is nothing quite like Wisconsin in the fall - leaves swirling at your feet, and lonely honks of migrating geese. Even as the beauty of fall shines, farmers are readying their barns to protect their animals from the immenent harsh winds and snow. My mother's family is from  Exeland. And my childhood memories of picking blackberries, scratching innumerable mosquito bites, riding in the hay wagon, and bringing in the cows for milking remain golden even though as an adult, I know the hardships that my grandmother and grandfather faced.

This time, instead of driving to nearby areas like Hayward, Spooner, and Rice Lake, we took the time to hike and capture the essence of the immediate farm area.


This area of Wisconsin is simply loaded with birch trees.


The occupants of the local beaver dam were shy so no candids of the frisky creatures.  


If you don't have a rural farming background, you might wonder why farmers always have an abundance of machinery on hand.  Consider this, a quick trip to the local hardware store is more than an hour away - one way. Love this texture and coloring -





My uncle raises beef cows. Inquisitive, they don't mind a nice rub on the muzzle. Outside of the farm, there are a few local places that are dear to my heart.



The Rock Castle.  When I was young, we would go here on Saturday nights where my Dad attempted to teach the intracies of pool to me.  Let's just say it was a lost cause.  I was far more interested in the jukebox and the treat of pizza.


Windfall Lake. Years ago, the lake was surrounded by pastures and hay fields.  Now, it features cozy cottages and is most peaceful at twilight and in the early morning.


One aged man -- one man -- can't keep a house,
A farm, a countryside, or if he can,
It's thus he does it of a winter night.
                                    Robert Frost


No comments:

Post a Comment