Thursday, September 10, 2015

Walworth County Fair, Wisconsin


When I was in fifth grade, I joined the local 4-H group, the Lakefront Lancers. We didn't have the ability to raise cows, sheep, or chickens, but we could craft, and we did.  I have wonderful memories of the Lake County Fair and I'm always a little disappointed when I visit the 4-H exhibits that are so much smaller now.

But, the Walworth County Fair is a fair that captures the memories of my youth - cows, sheep, chickens, goats - they have it all plus more. I will also add that the number of adult craft exhibits is wonderfully large and worth some serious study - this is a sample of one of the quilts, hand quilted.  I adored the use of color, the design - just wonderful.



From Richmond, Illinois, simply head north on Route 12 and exit on NN into Elkhorn. The fair runs every Labor Day weekend. This year, the monster truck rally took place Friday night when we went. It was a glorious evening, smells of funnel cakes and roasting sweet corn peppered the air.  My kid is all about funnel cakes, a true fair highlight. 


I am fairly proud of my tomato plants (small but plentiful) in my garden this year. Well, at least until I saw these mega veggies!


 How do they do this?  Is it manure?  Is it the seeds? Do they sprinkle magic fairy dust? Look at those cabbages! Magnificent.  If you missed the fair this year, get it on your calendar for next - a great family night out.




No comments:

Post a Comment